Tag Archives: Casa Gorordo Museum

#272 Casa Gorordo Museum

The Casa Gorordo Museum was originally a house built in the mid-19th century by Alejandro Reynes Rosales and bought by Juan Isidro de Gorordo, a Spanish merchant, in 1863. Four generations of the Gorordo family lived in this house, including Juan Gorordo, the first Filipino bishop of Cebu in 1910-1932.

Acquired in 1980 by the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, the house was restored and later opened as a public museum. The Casa Gorordo Museum has been declared a national historical landmark by the National Historical Institute in 1991.

One of the three remaining old houses that dates back to the Spanish colonial period in the Parian district of Cebu, the Casa Gorordo is now a lifestyle museum that features altar pieces, antique furnishings, paintings and relics that gives visitors a glimpse of Cebu’s Spanish colonial era.

The lower floor of the Casa Gorordo Museum traditionally served as storage space. It now houses the offices of the museum, an area for the art exhibitions and a small store. The house is built using the massive and tough coral stones, which most century-old buildings in Cebu are made of. The roof is made of tisa clay. The second story has wooden floors and housed the antique furniture, costumes, books and memorabilia. (Source: text and photo from Mark Maranga travel blog)

Long live Casa Gorordo!

Leave a comment

Filed under Arts and Culture, Places, Traditions