The present Lucban Church or Basilica actually sits on the ruins of the previous churches on the same site. The first one was built in 1595 and was destroyed in 1629, and a second church was constructed between 1630 and 1640 but was seriously damaged by fire in 1738.
The present church was completed in 1738 and the convent in 1743. The church has exquisite architectural details, and the façade retains the familiar old Spanish style of Catholic churches in the Philippines. Unfortunately little maintenance work is being done to preserve the integrity of the church. On the right side of the church is the site of the La Casa de Doña Ana, a big “bahay na bato” (house made of stone) – an architectural style for houses built for well-off Filipino families during the Spanish colonial period.
Mabuhay ang Lucban Basilica!