The Padre Burgos Museum is the ancestral house and birthplace of priest patriot Fr. Jose Burgos, one of the three martyr priests who became immortalised in Philippine History as GOM-BUR-ZA after their execution by the Spanish Guardia Civil in 1872.
Known as Padre Burgos House, it is one of the notable historic structures of Vigan, the capital city of Ilocos Sur province. Built in 1788, the house is now a national museum and has an extensive collection of Ilocano historical and cultural artefacts, including farming and fishing tools, weavings, jewellery, pottery and musical instruments, dioramas and vintage photographs. Also housed in the museum are the 14 paintings by the famed local painter, Don Esteban Villanueva. The Villanueva paintings depict scenes from the 1807 Basi Revolt.
The house is a two-story structure located near the Provincial Capitol and close to St. Paul’s Metropolitan Cathedral. It was renovated by the Filipinas Foundation and inaugurated on May 3, 1975. In January 1989 the memorabilia was turned over to the administration of the National Museum.
Mabuhay ang Padre Burgos Museum!