Casa Manila (circa 1850) one of the grand houses in Barrio San Luis (one of the four original villages) of Intramuros and is located across historic San Agustin church and bounded by Calle Real, General Luna, Cabildo and Urdaneta streets.
The other two houses are the Los Hidalgos, circa 1650 and Cuyugan Mansion (circa 1890). Unlike in other countries, where after World War II, restoration work was done in earnest to preserve the national heritage, in the Philippines various efforts followed different directions.
After intensive research, Intramuros Administration (IA) in 1980, began constructing Casa Manila complex following what it calls the Intramuros historic architecture. Casa Manila is one of the grand houses that were restored to provide Intramuros visitors an idea or glimpse of the lifestyle of the Spanish elite living in Intramuros.
Casa Manila typifies the house of the Filipino “ilustrado,” an affluent class bred by the opening of Manila to world trade in the late 19th century. Original and authentic furniture are displayed in Casa Manila including period costumes, musical instruments and other accessories to recreate the genteel life of the ‘illustrado.’
Long live Intramuros!