Paete Church (also known as St. James The Apostle Church), is located in Paete, Laguna. St. James the apostle is the patron of this church built in a town famous for its woodcarvers. Although the church has been recently renovated, and the construction materials are not like the original, the designs remain mainly the same.
Paete was founded in 1580 by Rev. Juan de Palesencia, a Franciscan friar. The Franciscans built a stone church and convent in 1646. Rev. Francisco de la Fuente led the construction of a stronger church in 1717, which was later destroyed by the earthquake of 1880. The church was again reconstructed in 1884 by Rev. Pedro Galiano. Century-old paintings and wooden statuaries adorn the church interiors. Unfortunately, an earthquake destroyed the church again in August 20, 1937.
Paete Church blends a distinctly local style with Western baroque. All the religious images were carved and/or painted by the residents of Paete long ago. It was completed in the early Spanish period, with a magnificent baroque altar, intricately carved images and 19th century murals by local artist Jose Dans.
Mabuhay ang Paete Church!