Tutuban was the main railway station of the Philippine National Railways (PNR), one of oldest railway companies in Asia. The landmark Tutuban Station is located on the corner of Claro M. Recto Avenue (formerly Azcarraga Street) and Dagupan Street, in the shopping district of Divisoria in Tondo, Manila.
The station has since been converted into a shopping center and is now popular for its bargain and wholesale stands. The building’s original facade and style is typical of late 19th Century buildings in Spanish Manila.
The construction of a railway line traversing the island of Luzon was initiated according to a plan submitted by Don Eduardo Lopez Navarro, then head of the Philippines’ Public Works Office. The line stretches from Tondo, Manila to Dagupan, Pangasinan. On July 31, 1887, the cornerstone of the Tutuban Station was laid by General Emilio Terrero, marking the start of the railroad track.
When the PNR began its operations on November 24, 1892, Tutuban Station became a place of business. Commerce played a large role in awareness about Tutuban, and it served as an important trading complex due to its very strategic location in Divisoria. Produce coming in by bulk from several provinces are unloaded in the station, and then distributed to retailers awaiting at the station.
The name “Tutuban” is said to have originated from the sounds made by the locomotives stationed in the area. However, the word actually comes from “tuba,” the name of the local alcoholic drink made from coconuts, since previously Tutuban was the center of production of this beverage.
Tutuban is also famous for being the birthplace of the revolutionary Andres Bonifacio. In commemoration, a monument stands in the current mall’s plaza. (From WikiPilipinas).
Mabuhay ang Tutuban!