Built in 1851 by the Franciscan Missionaries, the Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery in Lgauna province is the only one of its kind in the Philippines and was used as exclusive burial ground for Spanish friars.
Made of a circular stone structure, the cemetery has an intricately designed wrought iron-gate on the red-tiled walk that crosses the grounds leading straight to the opposite side, where an altar-like structure is located. The tombstones are embedded on the brick walls of the cemetery.
At the crypt of the cemetery, according to historical records, is where the Katipuneros plotted against Spanish rule. The historic Biak-na-Bato pact was first planned by Pedro Paterno and Gen. Severino Taino of the Maluningning command during their secret meeting in this cemetery in 1897.
Mabuhay ang Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery!